Climbing Wall Award Assessment
BOS / Mountaineering Ireland
The Climbing Wall Award (CWA) scheme provides training and assessment in the skills required to lead and supervise groups at Indoor Walls and Climbing Towers. This scheme has been designed to provide a level of basic competence for those who are in a position of responsibility during climbing activities at walls. Whilst the award does include a measure of personal competence it is not designed as a personal proficiency programme, and it should not be used as either an entry requirement or a measure of suitability for individuals who wish to climb on climbing walls
Is it for you? Before Assessment, candidates must be able to answer yes to the following questions:
- Have registered with BOS for the CWA scheme
- Be at least eighteen years of age prior to attendance on an assessment course
- Have attended a training course or been granted exemption from training and have a relevant training page in their logbook
- Have gained the relevant further experience (see Experience Requirements in handbook)
- Be proficient in the use of a wide variety of climbing walls
- Have recorded a minimum of thirty visits to at least three different climbing walls Additionally have assisted a qualified5 supervisor on at least fifteen instructed sessions on at least two different walls including a large public facility in a variety of contexts
- Hold a valid first aid certificate
What we Cover?
CWA Assessment courses are held over 1 day and comprises a mixture of realistic scenarios designed to test a candidates experience as a supervisor on an indoor wall. Topics covered on the CWA Assessment syllabus will include: technical competence (such as equipment, anchors, belaying and personal climbing skills), group management and supervision, emergency procedures, etiquette and promoting the sport of climbing and mountaineering.
To view the entire BOS / Mountaineering Ireland CWA syllabus, click here:
The assessment will be operated in a large commercial indoor facility
Duration: 1 Day
Cost: €100 per person (includes wall admission).
Pre-Requisites: As per syllabus above
Ratio: 1-4 instructor ratio